Friday, September 22, 2017

Green Witch's Report: Happy Harvest!

Today, at precisely 3:02 where I abide, the seasons will turn...and it will be Harvest!  Harvest, you say?  You mean Autumn or Fall, yes?  Yes.  But, being a gardener, I think I much prefer the term Harvest for the season, a term that was used before the 1500s for this time of year.  The English, over time, preferred the term Autumn...and when the first Colonists (Goody Prymm included) came to New England, they somewhat broke from the English preference for Autumn and eventually used the term Fall, thanks to the poets referring to it as the "fall of the leaf."

Today, being the Autumnal Equinox, means that night and day are (approximately) the same length, each being twelve hours.  There is not much going on in my gardens...it has been incredibly hot and dry, and I am just trying to keep my green friends comfortable, using as little water as possible.  Also, I have developed a horrible allergy to Ragweed...and am somewhat confined to my cottage until the pollen spikes subside.  This breaks my green little heart no end, as this is my favorite time of the year.  However, even Ragweed doesn't live forever, so I await the days when it holds no strong sway.  In the meantime, I thought I'd share some thoughts on other aspects of the natural world...the birthstones of Autumn!

Sapphire for September...reminds me of the bright blues of a September sky!
Tourmaline for October...so much like the rich hues of changing leaves...
Citrine for November...ah, the deep golds of the final days of Autumn...

Lovely stones, all of them.  Wear them, if you can, during their months!

As for the Moon, she is Waxing Crescent now, with an illumination of 6%...a productive and creative time.

Just wishing you all a Happy Harvest...enjoy this "season of mist and mellow fruitfulness!"


© 2017 Nancy Duncan

No comments:

Post a Comment