Monday, July 31, 2017

Green Witch's Report: Day One, Iceland

I've returned!  And Iceland is a wondrous place!  For the next several days I will post about each stop we made in this fascinatingly rugged land, beginning with Akureyri (pronounced "ah-ki-dayr-dee").  Yes, I was determined to learn how to pronounce these place names...and so I did.  As a matter of fact, it became easier to pronounce Icelandic words after a time, although some shall remain elusive, especially the names of some of the volcanoes...

As we pulled into port, these are the sights we saw from our verandah...so mysterious, so ancient...the clouds like smoke...and then, running down the mountain were waterfalls everywhere!



More spectacular scenery...a very long bridge...and now our port...



It was not as cold as it looks, the highs mostly in the low 60s...but we wore Goretex coats and rain pants just in case.  Oddly, we saw no rain on this entire trip! The weather can change in a snap, so we were prepared.

Akureyri is the second largest settlement in Iceland, with a population of about 17, 000. Our guide (who happened to be a national artist of Iceland...she does installments) took us places that ranged from green lands and verdant seashores to strange, other-worldly terrain.  Yes, those are sheep.  Probably Lopi. :)



Breathtaking views everywhere we turned.  Akureyri, btw, is in the very north central part of Iceland, deep in an Icelandic fjord, Eyjafjordur.  Because of the glaciers, there are rushing rivers and waterfalls everywhere.



And because of all of the volcanos, there are miles of lava fields from past eruptions.  The second picture is Godafoss Waterfall, a spectacular sight.  I'm having problems with this site, as it keeps reporting that there are errors.  I think I know the culprit...I'll be back later, once their conscience kicks in.  Sheesh.


I'm back.  There were geysers (pronounced "gazers") and bubbling "mud pots..."



And almost "lunar" terrain.  There is no life in the center of Iceland, only black deserts and glaciers.  All the life exists on the shores.



And I know I would be remiss if I did not include some of the fascinating plant life that grows here.   I'm always amazed at the fortitude of plants, as delicate as they seem...the white one on the right I believe is a kind of yarrow.



Loved these cheery little flowers, and the shrub on the right reminded me of Lamb's Ears because the leaves were hairy and soft...



I'll leave you with this delightful picture of a stream, wilder than wild...



© 2017 Nancy Duncan











2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you're back! I've missed you! Glad to see you have such a wonderful time in Iceland....oh I can only dream ~ or live vicariously through your beautiful photos my sweet friend ~ looking forward to hearing all about it!
    Blessed be,
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lori!!! I've missed you, too! I was a bit goofy from a nasty head cold and severe jet lag when I wrote this (traveling overseas and skies is really tough in these times...exhausting, in fact), so it's lacking in personal commentary...but I should be on the mend soon. Soon you will hear about my experiences with the "hidden folk" of Iceland...

      Delete