Monday, June 12, 2017

Green Witch's Report for Summer: June



Wasn't the Moon beautiful last night!  Did you see it...did you take the time to watch her rise in the night sky?  She is Waxing Gibbous, looking a little lopsided on the right side, which means she is moving away from last Friday's Fullness, headed toward the New Moon, which won't be for a while yet.  It's best to plant above-ground plants when the Moon is waxing, but I decided to add a few more plants while the temperatures were still, well, temperate. :)

So what did I plant...ah!  Some Rue!  I love its bitter smell, which sweetens as it dries, going from a blue-green to a tan-yellow.  Great for wreath making!  And I planted one of my old favorites...Yarrow...this one is called "Moonshine," and will also be wonderful for accenting dried wreaths (Can you tell what I'm going to be doing this Autumn?).  I used to craft all kinds of things from Nature...and I want to return to that more often.  You know, move away from the computer and its "manmade-ness" and back in touch with the authentic things this beautiful world offers.  Isn't the leafery on the Rue lovely?  And that bright bold yellow of the Yarrow!  Pictures are nice, but it's much more satisfying to be able to feel and smell these plants, too....


Of course, I planted more Lavender...and also some Catmint...



My Mexican Mint Marigold, lol, looks as though she has little ones in tow!  Oh, how sweet they smell when dried!  They will get tiny, understated yellow flowers which work nicely as accents for any Autumn wreath.  I will also plant a patch of Silver King Artemisia this evening, its ghostly grey-green wonderful for the base of wreaths...


The Summer Phlox, also smelling sweetly, will bloom all Summer long...such a beautiful pink...given to me by a gardener friend who lives on the nearby spring-fed pond.  When you cultivate a Garden, you cultivate friends, too!



The Lilies are doing fairly well, though not as well as last year...it's interesting how the Garden stays basically the same, yet is different each year depending upon what the weather has been...

The Abelia is abloom, inviting the occasional bumblebee and many honey bees...



As for the critters in and around my gardens, this Big Boy (what I've dubbed him) is a Texas Spiny Lizard...here he camouflages himself on my weathered tobacco-stick tripod in the Moon Garden...can you see how fat he (or could it be a she?!) is???  Believe it or not, they are quite sociable creatures!





This pile of sticks below fell a little at a time from the tops of the Three Sisters...a nest for the Mississippi Kites that return each year.  There is a fledgling up there, I know, as I have found a large fluffy feather or two in my Gardens, as well as evidence of feedings (frog legs in my bird bath!).  They are the most graceful of flyers, these Kites, and their high-pitched whistle as they soar above the trees makes me happy that they return each year.




Nature has so much to offer...you just have to be observant and use your imagination (a desirable activity).  I stopped the other day to pick Queen Anne's Lace, growing wild in a field...placed them to dry between the pages of a heavy book...and voila!  Snowflakes for a Rosemary tree this Christmas!


And, yes, my dear little Owls are still about, as well as Toads...

In this world there are landscapers...and then there are gardeners.  As for myself, I prefer being a gardener.  There's a certain emotional investment that comes with it, teaching me so much more than what the eye can see...

© 2017 Nancy Duncan

2 comments:

  1. I will have to take my camera outside this eve to snap a few moonlight photos of our garden and it's night-time visitors...our toads are fat and happy! ~ and now you have me searching our fields for the queen ann's lace for snowflakes in summer ~
    Blessed be,
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see Notforgotten Farm in Moonlight, with all the big fat toads! A lovely time for me is at night when I lie down in bed to read, windows open, hearing the tree frogs, owls, and crickets. So calming. Aren't those snowflakes cute??? They simply "stick" onto the tree, or sometimes I tuck them into Christmas cards. :)

    ReplyDelete