Monday, May 22, 2017

Green Witch's Report for Spring: May



Come into the Garden with me!
'Tis Spring and there's so much to see!
Take my hand, we'll make the rounds...
If we look closely, no telling what will be found!

Like Goody Prymm, plants are grown for their uses...
But also for their beauty and contemplative leanings...
Here the creatures feel welcomed, from the friendly green
Lizards...to the Owls that roost in the Cedars.

There is a tiny herb bed within the greater Garden...see the tin barn spire that marks its center?
And around it are four stones, marking North, South, East, and West.  There you will find Basil just beginning, Lemon Thyme and Garden Thyme, Italian Oregano, Comfrey, Mexican Oregano with its pink tubular blooms that seduce the tiny hummingbirds, French Tarragon for deliciously sweet vinegar salad dressings, Lemon Verbena, and of course one of my favorites, Sage, an herb you either love or strongly dislike (I'm removing the word hate from my vocabulary...it is used so casually today...it's not a word, in this Green Witch's opinion, to throw around carelessly).  And asleep under this herb bed are Spider Lilies and St. Joseph Lilies to bloom in other seasons...


I appreciate and collect Rocks and Shells for my Gardens.  Their colors and textures add so much...
My Gardens speak to me (and I to them), but I also like them to speak to my visitors or just to passersby...






These little white Shells were gathered along the shoreline where I lived as a little girl....and are now a welcoming committee...

(While all the other pictures are current, this one is several seasons old, but I "shell" use the concept again this summer!)








Sometimes the Garden plants itself!  Here there is Larkspur and Tickseed and wild Spiderwort, which later will have understated blue flowers, as sweet as can be... and variegated Black-eyed Susans filling in where needed!

Goodness knows, I didn't plant them, but they seem happy, don't they?  And there are other herbs here on this side of the Garden, Tansy being one of my favorites.  It will grow taller than I, just you wait and see!




The Echinacea is a social butterfly, always inviting more of its kind with each passing season...

That's fine with me...the more the merrier!!  And the Lilies arrive in time to show their colors of cream, yellow, orange, and grapefruit reds...






My last Spring's newcomer...a "black" Pincushion Flower which, now being in its second year of perennial growth, is really bushing out, reaching a height of three almost three feet!  A treat for the butterflies when it finally blooms in full! The blooms will fan out in the most deliciously deep purple-black flowers, now just beginning to show themselves.   Lori...have your seeds sprouted yet?  ;)



I have both real and imagined creatures that live in the Garden...this fellow sporting a top hat and tails...and the sweet little Screech Owl, who lets me get soooooo close...




There will be more to see with each passing day...Inspiration just flows after a stroll in a Garden...



***With a nod to The Primitive Hare for some of the freebie lettering I'm using in my design (I would never steal), as well as the printed 35-count Anne Boleyn linen for the ground.

© 2017 Nancy Duncan

2 comments:

  1. unfortunately my seeds never sprouted ~ I am so happy yours is thriving! love your peaceful planted-place :)
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats and Frog Feathers! Well, you never know about seeds...perhaps a plant will pop up one day in the craziest place! I planted Lunaria ("Silver Dollar") seeds two years ago...haven't seen any of it sprout yet...

      Delete