Thursday, April 27, 2017

A Commentary on Imagination

The Bonnie White Hare bounds the open fields "where Imagination Weds the Past."  Anything I write or create with my hands melds facts and knowledge with my own imagination.  I may write a poem to accompany a piece I've made...or I may breathe new life into folklore as old as the hills.  But I find that when I allow my imagination full reign, new life is breathed into me!  As a child I had a vivid imagination...I could play for hours by myself, creating worlds known only to me.  The giant white rock riddled with weathered holes lying in the alley behind our house became my fairy kingdom.  Some days I was a girl pirate a-sail on the vast oceans, always looking for the next world.  And yes, I had an imaginary friend or two...

I love to watch little children at play.  They become immersed in their imaginary worlds.  So often, when adulthood enters, that ability is lost to life's cares and realities...instead, it reveals itself through the art world...theatre, visual arts, music.  Perhaps that explains why these things are so revered in the grownup world.

For Emily Bronte, Imagination was an escape from a painful emotional existence.  When the cares of the world weighed heavily on her, she depended on her imagination to lift her up.  She wrote in her poem "To Imagination,"

"But thou art ever there, to bring
The hovering vision back, and breathe
New glories o'er the blighted spring
And call lovelier Life from Death.
And whisper, with a voice divine
Of real worlds, as bright as thine."

And Albert Einstein knew the importance of Imagination, writing,

"Imagination is more important than knowledge.  For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand."

And Ray Bradbury, while recognizing the importance of knowledge, places Imagination above it:

"Knowledge is important.  But if you don't have an imagination to use the knowledge, civilization is nowhere."

Never fear knowledge...and never fear imagination.  Right now I am dreaming up and piecing together in my imagination a Woolen Sea Witch who can tie up the wind in knots!  Go figure.


© 2017 Nancy Duncan

2 comments:

  1. a wool-y sea witch sounds perfect!
    I think I may have been your imaginary friend when we were younger ...
    ;)
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been drawing up some sketches...ordered this beautiful green hand-dyed wool for the ocean background...and, regarding imaginary friends, I don't doubt that a bit!! :)

    ReplyDelete